On Monday, CrossFit HQ announced the launch of its “CrossFit Scholarship Program” on the CrossFit website and on Instagram. The program is the latest and potentially the most impactful initiative under current CEO Dave Castro.
The announcement stated, “that the mission of the CrossFit Scholarship is to spark meaningful health-care changes in underrepresented and underserved communities by providing foundational health and fitness education through free access to the CrossFit Level 1 Certificate Course.”
One big thing: During HQ’s tumultuous few weeks, Castro has continued to address issues that have caused some division within the community by putting words into actions. First hinted upon during his Instagram Live Q&A with Rich Froning and Rory McKernan and then again on Sunday’s interview with Talking Elite Fitness, the program is meant to improve diversity and reaffirm the inclusivity of the community by providing access to CrossFit’s methodology through the scholarship.
- This is the third initiative that Castro has put into motion, starting with the CrossFit Affiliate Representative Program which is meant to facilitate communication between affiliates and HQ.
- Castro also started sending out a weekly newsletter to affiliates to improve communication with HQ as well.
- Besides providing a free Level 1 Course for teens and young adults in underrepresented or underserved communities, the program will expand in the future to include mentorship opportunities from HQ and the CrossFit community as well as pathways to becoming affiliate owners.
The Scholarship Program: The program will launch in Atlanta, Georgia on July 11-12, 2020 with CrossFit Downtown Atlanta as the host of the free Level 1 Course.
- The inaugural course has gained traction in the Atlanta community and has garnered partnerships from local organizations with the same message and endstate in mind.
- “I look forward to working with CrossFit Downtown Atlanta, other local affiliates, and nonprofits like the Atlanta Leadership Club,” stated HQ Flowmaster Chuck Carswell (CF-L4). “The Leadership Club’s mission is to teach participants how to apply for jobs, be successful in interviews, and engage in team building activities. This shared objective to positively impact youth in Atlanta represents a synergistic match with the CrossFit Scholarship and supports the aims of this course.”
- Inquiries regarding involvement, applying for the scholarship or more information is located on the CrossFit website.
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
— to morningchalkup.com